Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Learning how to knit!

Ok, so here's the history behind the urge to learn how to knit. I have wanted to use wool for cloth diapering for so long but I just can't bring myself to spend $60+ on something I could make myself. So I got a great pattern for a crochet skirty. I love it! But I really like the look of the knitted soakers/shorties/longies. So I put an ad up on the site at work looking for someone to teach me how to knit.

I've looked online for my area and there are a few places that have classes but, again, I don't have up to $75 to blow to learn how to knit. I've been waiting patiently for someone to offer their services and I was pleasantly surprised to find out a sweet woman (Verna) at my work knits. She said she'd love to teach me how to knit on lunch breaks and she'd bring me in some needles/yarn to borrow and she wouldn't charge me anything.

So I had my first little lesson from Verna today. I've learned how to cast on and do a continental stitch. So I just need to practice. I will try to take some pictures of my progression shortly.

It's easier then I expected. But I haven't done much or made anything so I'm sure I'll be eating my words.

So, wish me luck. Pictures to come soon!

No comments: